Sunday, May 22, 2016

Achievement unlocked - thread repair

Looks good! Carb just for show, installing fuel injection later
When test fitting the oil pan last week, I noticed one bolt not really threading in well. Why? Well the threads in the block mating surface were trashed. There was also a bolt fragment jammed down in there. And when the machinist went over the block in December, he must've overlooked this one. Now I have normally sent this sort of thing back to the machinist, but this thing is so far down the road, it'd be a real pisser to send out at this point. And I'm doing this to figure stuff out, so why not figure out how to repair the threads? So this week, I got a 17/64" drill bit, a 1/4-20 helicoil kit, and got down to business. After marveling at the magic of the machinist, I managed to borrow a tiny bit. I drilled out the opening, re-tapped it, and inserted the new threads. And it looked great! Glad I gave it a go, now broken threads, busted bolts, and other minor repairs are within my reach. It really didn't take much time. I in fact spent way more time hemming, hawing, and hand-wringing than I did doing the job.

So, new drama aside, I finally installed the newly painted oil pan. After rechecking the valve lash, I closed up the heads with some new valve covers that had just arrived from Summit, installed the intake manifold, and finished it off witthe thermostat/waterneck. Coming: I still need to install pulleys, alternator, coil, distributor, wires, plugs, and headers.

Thread Repair

Masked Off the area to keep metal shavings out of nice new engine.
Drill out the old bolt hole
Tap the hole with the tap in the 1/4-20 helicoil kit
Screw in new threads and knock off the tang
Toast to a job well done!

 More pics

one-piece oil pan gasket! snazzy.
Oil pan is on
Prepping for intake install - super black RTV FTW
New waterneck, check out the thermostat! NOS from my Cutlass
View from under the car




No comments:

Post a Comment