Monday, October 12, 2015

Just when all hope had been abandoned

So, got stuck in a time vortex or what?

Life gets crazy, and the Mustang project was mothballed while I destroyed, then revived an e46 BMW. What an odyssey. I also learned a lot and in many ways am better equipped for the Mustang. While working on that, many asked me to blog my progress on the Mustang, so here we go- resurrected!

Where we left off...


Mouse nest smell, ugh.

So the car smelled like mice. We took the seats out and tossed the carpet and underlayment. On Saturday morning, I vacuumed out the mouse poop, then took some "Nature's Miracle" urine-neutralizing enzyme solution and sprayed down everything. I listened to "Car Talk" on the radio, and by the time it was over, the mouse smell had gone away. The seats I am not concerned with since we're replacing the foam and the covers.

The question of the floors, answered

There was a question about how much work the floors would need, I thought, a little but not much. It was time to take a look . On Sunday I had some time to spare so I decided to take a closer look, and by "look", I mean with a grinder. And here's what I found:

Oof, uncovered some tin...
And once we peel it up, it ain't pretty.

So yeah, goop and tin were apparently the preferred recipe in the past






Yep, that's a whole - as in "added a whole floorpan to the things I'm buying for this car!"
So I'm going to save the seat pedestals and probably the trans/driveline tunnel, but the rest of this floor is going to have to get replaced. Ordered a set of spot weld grinding bits, this is going to get "interesting."


Next weekend 

Stay tuned, the kid and I are going to take the heads off the 289 and fix them up so we can run the car on unleaded pump gas! Also, more grinding/sparks!

No comments:

Post a Comment