Friday, October 16, 2015

Time to start ordering crap

The one great thing that makes the project really nice for us is this Mustang (or hell, any Mustang) has parts readily available. I am so used to single (or zero) source parts on my other, less-mainstream cars that this is freakin awesome to me.

Booyah and salutations to CJ Pony Parts!
So I took my planning spreadsheet tonight and started ordering some things. I stuck to mechanical first, since we're still doing bodywork. Pretty badges, trim, wheels, exhaust, and interior come last.

I scrapped my plans to send out the 289 heads to get hardened valve seats. Even though that seems sensible enough, I don't know if the last engine setup was really ok. From what I remember from riding around in this car in college, it was running a lopey cam with perhaps too much overlap, often ran too rich, and was sometimes hard to start. I read up on the Edelbrock E-Street top-end kit for this motor, and liked that this would remove the guesswork out of much of the motor setup by pre-matching the heads, cam, intake, and carb. Ordered.

Pulled the trigger on the front power disc brake kit and shocks- car's gotta stop and not hop!

The original thing that put this classic in a barn was that the starter quit, and then the rust in the tank clogged up the works. So new starter, fuel tank, and sender.

 Lastly, ordered bushings and motor mounts, since holy dry rot batman- they are sorely needed.

I'll be waiting on the front stoop for the UPS truck!

No comments:

Post a Comment