Sunday, July 10, 2016

Hot and sizzly

After fighting a losing battle with the new welding rig last week I returned with a couple days thought on the issue. My ideas orbited around two thoughts, one around poor grounding, and the other around possible gas starvation. I also went back and re-read the manual, which ultimately solved the problem - I assumed the copper welding tip was already installed when setting up but then noticed one pictorial that instructed the user to install it. Sure enough, I disassembled the torch and lo, it was missing. After digging through the stuff that came with it, I found a .030 tip and screwed it in. That was the disconnect last week. Welder works great! This is good news since all the things we need to do to the Mustang right now depend on the welder working nicely.

Dialed in the welder and made this cart
Not to much left in this week's report, other than I told you I was going to build a welding cart for practice, and I did! It took 14 hours in all, including cutting, grinding, and painting- and about $45 in metal stock. I used 1-inch square tube stock and 22 gauge sheeting. It's a freaking tank. I painted it with some yellow ceramic engine paint. It's nice and cheery.

Time to go repair the floors in the Mustang!

More Pictures

Fullmetal Alchemist shirt is apropos, no?

The assembly is starting to look like the picture I drew on the napkin!
The cart fab is done, setting up for paint
All painted!
Done! Wheels added and loaded up with my gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment