Monday, July 18, 2016

Rear End Deconstruct

Hitting the leaf spring perch with the impact
Now that I have an engine built and a working welding rig it's time to start getting the chassis ready. I started by getting down and dirty with the ass end of this pony. Recall way back in November when I ordered new 4-spring leafs, shocks, and drop-shackle-lowered rear suspension pieces, along with replacement frame box ends, a new gas tank and fuel sender?  Before installing all that I decided to remove the whole rear end, clean and inspect everything, replace any worn out junk, and make any upgrades that make sense. Oh, fair warning, when working on the ass end, butt jokes, cliches, puns, and innuendos will ensue.

Brake check

New wheel cylinder, springs, stops, e-brake.
She's got a lotta junk in the trunk- Backing up that ass is exciting, but getting her to stop is sorta important too!- and although I'm upgrading the brake system with a new master cylinder, power brake booster, and front disks/calipers, the rear drums shall remain. I looked at a lot of cool upgrades including rear disk brakes, but that upgrade did not make the cut. Since we're on a budget, and since this is going to be street/touring car (a.k.a., not a full-on racer), leaving the drums in the back makes sense. It's going to be loads better than the stock manual 4-drum brakes. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the rears had been recently rebuilt, including the e-brake!

Drop it like it's hot

One stout keister. The part on the lift is pretty substantial too!
I need to replace the gas tank and repair the floors, necessitating the removal of the rear end. The plan was to just drop her booty in one chunk with the leaf springs attached and everything, but the leaf springs had other ideas, none of which included giving up their place attached to the underside of the car. Given the amount of dirt, rust, and crud that I shook out, I imagine this stuff hasn't been taken apart in possibly ever. The impact didn't even nudge the leaf spring mounts, so I'll torch them out later. After disconnecting the brake lines, the shocks, spring perches, and dropping the exhaust system, at least she conceded the rear end, which I finally got to take a good look at after I eased it out. It's our 78th date, so I think we're all good, but she does not like that I am seeing other cars.

Clean up

Already looking better
My junior high gym teacher Mr. Mauch was a stickler for hygiene. Lord help you if you tried to leave without showering. His point? Wash your scuzzy, stanky ass. The Mustang rear end had 50 years of gym class on it, so I took a wire brush to it. It should shine like a sparkly diamond when I put it back.

Now that the pumpkin is out of the way, I can clean up the underside, fix the frame where it's rusted, and paint it all up nice. Mr. Mauch would approve.


More photos

This was my view for a large portion of the weekend
I like big butts and I can not lie
Light, dark, mechanical. Inspiration strikes!
Making a little mess
old shocks are out
old exhaust system is out
This picture is not complete...
...without me blasting away at things with my trusty impact wrench!





No comments:

Post a Comment