Monday, September 5, 2016

It Ain't Fun Until You're Covered from Head to Toe

You have dirt on your face, just there- did you know? -Hermione Grainger
Test fit: driver's side floor pan and seat pedestal set in place
Last week I didn't get much garage time in but I managed to accomplish a rough test fit on the driver-side replacement floor pan sheet metal. Although not a huge step, I realized it was a milestone of sorts- this is the first thing I've put back on the chassis. Up until now you've seen me and the kid tearing down this, cutting out that. When I realized I was building, I cracked a little smile. I've turned the corner.

Parking brake cable and exhaust hanger brackets avoided
The fit looks good topside but I noticed some things going on underneath that required some care and attention before I started cutting. There was still fuel and brake lines that needed removal. There also were some fittings, threaded , gussets, and unibody frame boxes that should not be cut into or cut off. I traced around the new floorpiece with a Sharpie, then modified the cut line after locating the underbody components and transcribing up top.

Oooh, looky! Brown gas! Not sure what to do with this.
While thinking it through I remembered I needed to drain the tank of fuel- yes it still had gas. How old? Really freaking old. This car was in a barn for at least a dozen years. As luck would have it, the drain bolt was of course seized in its bung. No problem. Since I knew I wasn't going to chance it, I already sourced a new tank. After loosening the gas cap, a quick whack with a hammer and a steel punch got things going.

Made a clean spot - guess I'll do the rest
After cutting out the old floor I went to work cleaning up my edges, chiseling old tabs off and grinding old spot welds. I had put off this point, but I knew I needed to clean all the dirt, grime, and undercoating off the underside in order to do everything from welding to painting. There really is no great way to do this without a rotisserie or a media blaster, so I just got in there with my goggles and grinder and commenced to blasting off 50 years worth.

Another poor rust repair that needs to be redone
Bad news: While cleaning off the undercoating in the driver's side front wheel well, I found another riveted-tin rust repair on the foot panel connecting the floor to the firewall. This means the metal behind the dashboard needs to be repaired before I weld in the floor panel. The reason for this is the seam needs to face rearward, with the raised lip in the car. If I installed the floor panel, then the foot panel, the seam would face forward with the raised lip in the engine bay, which would capture lots of moisture, and rust prematurely. So I'll pause here since I now need to remove the steering column and probably the entire dash. For those keeping score, besides the front suspension (which is all getting replaced anyway), this is the only thing we hadn't taken out. So officially, this rebuild is now a 100% every-nut-and-bolt job. Sure, why not?

Afterward in the house my family commented on the aftermath. Apparently I looked interesting enough to be banned from the kitchen and living room, then got sent straight to the hallway bathroom for decon. I must admit, I've been dirty before, but I've never before taken a bath where afterwards I needed to then clean the bathtub and the soap. I didn't even know you could make soap dirty.

More Photos

Lovely
Test fit, floor and seat pedestal
Bright lights footswitch is on very shaky ground
Test fit, from the bottom

Chiseling off the old floor welds

Possible problem point - rust in between sandwiched subframe and sheetmetal pieces





 

No comments:

Post a Comment