Monday, September 19, 2016

That Itch

OK, let's take everything off
The floor repairs are looking good, but as thorough an inspection as I thought I gave to the surrounding panels, I noticed some problem spots I hadn't previously expected to be a big deal. Upon further inspection however I realized that these places had also received not-so-great riveted, mudded tin panel repairs, which at best mask the problem without really having addressed it. The damage was in two locations: around the wheel housings where they intersect the floor in the trunk, and on both toekick panels around where the driver and shotgun passenger's floor panel reach upwards to the firewall (and consequently, where salt spray from the front wheels would be hitting the body- makes sense in Illinois). I realized that there was no way I couldn't do this right without planning more rehab. Patching (or ignoring) really wouldn't cut it. Even if it's stuff I can't easily see, it'd bug me. It would be an itch I couldn't scratch. I'd know it was there. And really, doing a great job includes doing complete detail work in invisible places.

Removing everything

Garage cat scanning terrain for mice with laser beams
To access the toekick panels and cowl sides for needed repair, I removed the instrumentation, the fenders, bumper, valence, steering column, steering clutch/brake pedal assembly, and the steering box. This was the last equipment left bolted in, really. I guess bragging rights will have to include "complete nut-and-bolt resto".

Unsafe at any speed?


Although the column (above) is out, this javelin remains
Ralph Nader was going after the design of the Chevy Corvair about the same time as this car was being assembled in Dearborn, MI. I own other classics with underdeveloped or nonexistent safety gear (my son was super confused when he first climbed in my '59 Chevy and discovered "no seatbelts")- I should have known I'd find something, and now was the time. When I removed the steering column I discovered that the steering shaft and steering box are pretty much one whole piece. Modern cars separate the two with a guibo or rag joint so that, amongst other reasons, the thing won't skewer the driver through the chest should he get in a crash. The one in this car would make shishkebab out of me. The guys on the Mustang forums lovingly refer to it as "the thoracic impaler". I will be installing a safer steering box. I'm sure there is another person out there who is looking to restore their '65 Mustang back to OEM spec, and I have a steering box assembly for them. Hopefully they trailer it everywhere or park it in a museum or make a planter out of it or something.

Why replace when you can upgrade?

Detroit Speed minitub kit, unboxed
When I saw the rust-through around the rear wheel houses, it was discouraging. I began estimating the time and materials it'd take to properly repair yet another thing. I returned to the car to inspect them and noticed that these things were probably bad when the quarter panels were replaced, telling me the damage had time to degrade. But as I looked at all the different sheet metal, I realized this was an opportunity. For a modest premium over what stock wheel houses cost, I could instead modify the wheel opening to fit a wider tire (245s are about the limit on the stock Mustang, as opposed to 335s with a mini-tub kit). Pretty cool. I ordered the Detroit Speed kit that includes the wheel tubs and the frame boxes needed for the narrowed rear. Great upgrade, it'll add safety due to increased traction, and it'll look pretty badass.

Next week, we scratch the itch and cut out the last of the bad parts

More Pics

Sittin on the dock of the bay?

wiring labeled, gauges removed
steering box and pedals, removed
removing the wheel
dashpad coming out
AM radio! Retro.
Spike, my chickenshit cat
That tail says "I smell a maus!"
There's more car on my wall than on my car!
Removed the nose.
Gotz a fender!
fenderless

cowl driver side have some old repairs screwed on

shotgun side looks ok

No comments:

Post a Comment